Balushahi is a sweet treat that is popular in India and Nepal. Here is a recipe for making balushahi at home:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup ghee (clarified butter)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- Oil, for frying
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and ghee. Mix together until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the yogurt and mix until the dough comes together. Knead the dough for a few minutes until it is smooth and pliable.
- Divide the dough into small balls, about the size of a golf ball. Flatten each ball slightly and make a small indentation in the center with your thumb.
- Heat the oil in a deep-fryer or a deep, heavy-bottomed pot until it reaches 375°F (190°C).
- In a separate pan, bring the water and sugar to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the syrup thickens slightly and becomes a deep amber color. Add the cardamom powder and mix well.
- Carefully add the balushahi to the hot oil, a few at a time, and fry until they are golden brown on all sides. Remove the balushahi from the oil and drain on a paper towel.
- Dip the balushahi in the syrup and set them aside to cool. Enjoy!
Note: You can also add a few strands of saffron to the syrup for added flavor.