Christmas cake is a rich, dense fruit cake, usually made with dried fruits, nuts, and spices. It is traditionally served at Christmas time.
• 1/2 cup butter, melted
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
• 3/4 cup milk
• 2 large eggs
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 2 cups mixed dried fruit and chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the melted butter, flour, sugars, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the milk, eggs, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Stir in the dried fruit and nuts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Christmas cake is high in carbohydrates and fats. It is also a good source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. One slice (1/12 of a 9×13 inch pan) contains approximately:
• 230 calories
• 10g fat
• 36g carbohydrates
• 2g fiber
• 4g protein
Frequently Asked Questions:
How long will the Christmas cake last?
The Christmas cake should last for up to 5 days if stored in an airtight container.
Can I freeze the Christmas cake?
Yes, you can freeze the Christmas cake for up to 3 months.
What other ingredients can be added to the Christmas cake?
You can add other dried fruits, such as raisins, currants, and cranberries. Nuts, such as almonds and walnuts, can also be added.
Is Christmas cake vegan-friendly?
Yes, Christmas cake can be made vegan-friendly by substituting the butter for vegan-friendly margarine and the milk for a plant-based milk alternative.
Can I add alcohol to the Christmas cake?
Yes, you can add alcohol to the Christmas cake. Popular choices include brandy, rum, and whiskey.