Red Velvet Cake Recipe: It is a classic dessert that has become popular in recent years. It is a moist, dense cake that is usually made with cocoa powder, vinegar, and buttermilk. It is usually topped with a cream cheese frosting and may also be topped with chopped nuts or other decorations. The cake is traditionally a red color, though other colors may also be used.
- Rich and moist with a classic flavor
- Soft and fluffy texture
- Made with a combination of cocoa powder, food coloring, and buttermilk
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- With the mixer on low, add the oil in a slow, steady stream.
- Add the buttermilk and red food coloring and mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for 10 minutes before turning out onto cooling racks to cool completely.
Calories: 360 kcal, Carbohydrates: 48.5 g, Protein: 5.3 g, Fat: 17.3 g, Saturated Fat: 5.1 g, Cholesterol: 62 mg, Sodium: 246 mg, Potassium: 80 mg, Fiber: 1.3 g, Sugar: 32.3 g, Vitamin A: 375 IU, Vitamin C: 0.2 mg, Calcium: 30 mg, Iron: 1.7 mg
Is Red Velvet Cake a traditional cake?
Red Velvet Cake is a classic dessert that has been around for many years. It is believed to have originated in the United States in the early 20th century.
What is the difference between Red Velvet Cake and Chocolate Cake?
Red Velvet Cake is made with a combination of cocoa powder, food coloring, and buttermilk that gives it a unique red color. Chocolate cake is made with cocoa powder, but does not have food coloring or butter
What are some popular toppings for Red Velvet Cake?
Popular toppings for Red Velvet Cake include cream cheese frosting, whipped cream, fresh fruit, and chocolate shavings.
Is Red Velvet Cake easy to make?
Red Velvet Cake is easy to make and only requires a few ingredients. It’s a great dessert for any occasion.
What is the best way to store Red Velvet Cake?
Red Velvet Cake can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. It can also be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.